Re: XHTML2: Elements to include and not to include (i and b)

From: Jonny Axelsson <jax@opera.no>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:28:30 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

12.08.02 20:06:58, Samuli Lintula <samuli@samulilintula.net> wrote:

>I would like to propose including <i> and <b> in the XHTML2. Even if they
are mostly
>presentational, their *presentation* holds information.

Personally, I am ambivalent about this issue. I think I (not B, though see
my comment on "key phrase") has some "semi-semantic" values that it will be
hard to replace with more explicit markup without adding a dozen new
elements.

The greater question on B&I is which harm will be greater: The harm of
keeping them or the harm of removing them. Most people in the working group
believe the harm of keeping them is (considerably) higher.

>I'd also like to support including BR in XHTML for the sake backwards
compatibility.

As another personal opinion I would like to get rid of both HR and BR, but
not outright in XHTML 2.0 (in other words ideally both should be deprecated,
but not obsoleted).

Jonny Axelsson
Documentation,
Opera software