XHTML2: Elements to include and not to include (i and b)

From: Samuli Lintula <samuli@samulilintula.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:06:58 +0300
To: www-html@w3.org

I would like to propose including <i> and <b> in the XHTML2. Even if they are mostly
presentational, their *presentation* holds information.

In biology, systematic names for species are written in italics:
<i>S. cerevisiae</i> in a middle of sentence might not be understood as a species if it
wasn't for the <i> tags. <span class="bug-name"> does not bear the same information.

Italics are even more important in biochemistry where a gene (name) is written in italics
but the gene product (with the same name) is not!

The case for <b> is weaker. Sometimes <b> has the informational value of telling that this
is the first occurence of a person's name in the article.

Summa summarum: B and I are very similar to SUP and SUB which are included in XHTML2 for
good reasons. B and I should be in XHTML2, too.

=-=-=-=

I'd also like to support including BR in XHTML for the sake backwards compatibility.

--
Samuli Lintula             @ http://www.samulilintula.net/
Department of Biochemistry @ University of Turku