XHTML 2.0 tables: time to move on

From: Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:24:34 +0300
To: <www-html@w3.org>

I was not impressed with the XHTML 2.0 tables module, as I was expecting
some new flexibility; something similar to XUL's <grid> element
(examples at [1]).

My point about XUL's grid element, is the two different ways of ordering
the definition of columns and rows. I appreciate that because it gives
me the choice of either using the columns to define appearance and rows
to define content, or rows to define appearance and columns to define
content.

XHTML 2.0 could offer something like the following two tables used to
present a couple of code snippets. Both tables render the snippet titles
in bold and the snippets themselves using courier font.

 <tcols>
  <tc style="font-weight:bold;"/>
  <tc style="font-family:courrier;"/>
 </tcols>

 ---------------------------------
| Snippet #1 | /*some code here*/ |
| Snippet #2 | /*some code here*/ |
 ---------------------------------

a table column">
 <trows>
 </trows>
 <tc>
 </tc>
 <tc>
 </tc>
| Snippet #1         | Snippet #1         |
| /*some code here*/ | /*some code here*/ |

[1] http://www.xulplanet.com/tutorials/xultu/grids.html

Regards,

Manos