Re: [WD XHTML 2.0] usemap attribute

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 21:19:35 +0900 (JST)
To: koch@pixelpark.com
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Johannes Koch <koch@pixelpark.com> wrote:

> Should the usemap attribute be of type IDREF (section 12) or a URI (e.g.
> section 12.1)?

Actually this is under (re)consideration.  It was a URI in HTML 4 and
XHTML 1.0, but was changed to IDREF in Modularaization of XHTML (and
hence in XHTML 1.1) as implementation experience has showed that
support for external map reference is very weak and has a lot of
difficulties in implementing it.  Then we got a lot of push-back as
IDREF syntax is not backwards compatible.  So we were inclined to
compatible anyway, we are reconsidering this issue again.

I'd like to invite people's opinion on this issue.

FYI, here're some unofficial test results:

  Support in HTML user agents:
    http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/imagemap/results

  Support in XHTML user agents:
    http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/xhtml/imagemap/results