Re: Fw: Recently published documents

From: Nicholas Atkinson <nik@casawana.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 00:01:13 +0100
To: <jax@opera.no>, <www-html@w3.org>

That's interesting information Jonny, thank you.  I will look forward to
that.  Very interesting.

However, are you familiar with the expression "jam tomorrow"?!  ;-)

Why can't the necessary declarations be added to XHTML 1.0 so that documents
containing EMBED (and PARAM etc.) elements can be validated, *today*.
[Given that the Object tag is not widely supported today, or on legacy
browsers.]

It would take me approximately _five_ minutes to add the necessary
declarations to XHTML 1.0.  If that.

The only practical option for an authoring tool creator/vendor who offers
validation, today, is to bundle a DTD of their own construction which is a
"superset" of the "official" XHTML 1.0 one (or to bundle the official one
and wait for a flood of support calls!).   And bundling a superset one, as I
see it, defeats the purpose of having a "common" DTD to validate against.

nik