Re: Structure of Paragraphs in HTML/XHTML

On Thursday, April 18, 2002, at 12:16 PM, William F. Hammond wrote:

> "Laurie Brown" <laurieb@tidalwave.net> writes:
>
>> While this looks OK with the current default behavior of
>> browsers--i.e.,
>> skipping a line between before and after elements denoted as
>> paragraphs--it
>> may not in the future depending on rendering styles.  In
>> addition, it does
>> not seem to me to be semantically correct.
>
> Yes, it's not semantically correct.  HTML does not provide a suitable
> markup vocabulary for literate writing.

On the whole, I agree. In this case, however, the following is
valid and may be semantically appropriate, too:

     <q>The quote...</q>
   A few concluding sentences...</p>

This works as long as the quotation is not itself composed of
multiple blocks, as a list or something. As for the rendering,
'the' default is irrelevant as a criterion for the suitability of
the markup per se, but q { display: block } gets you most of the
way there, probably.

Most print style guides call for quotations to be presented as
blocks only if they would exceed a certain number of lines. Getting
that right would require a close binding - two-way - between
formatting and rendering components, and I'm not aware of any
standards-track technology that attempts this.

--
Todd "don't diss html because your favorite implementation fails to
support suitable renderings" Fahrner