Re: Alternative to NOBR tag?

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:16:06 -0700
To: mgreisman@scanalytics.com, www-html@w3.org, DDelaney@PowerCreative.com
Cc: "www style w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 4/12/02 9:23 AM, "mgreisman@scanalytics.com" <mgreisman@scanalytics.com>

> I had almost the same problem with multiple words that I did not want to
> break. For example:
> | Menu Item 1 | Menu Item 2 | Menu Item 3 |
> The good folks in the HTML Writer's Guild recommended I use non-breaking
> spaces between the words I didn't want to break. Oh, yeah, "non-breaking"
> means something!

Since it is presentation you are concerned with, it is perhaps better to use
a presentational solution (rather than a content solution), e.g. style your
sequence of multiple words that you don't want to break with

> This doesn't quite solve Dan's problem with hyphens within phone numbers, but
> it might help...

Precisely - in general you have to use a proper presentational solution

> So, what's the final word on the nowrap style? Are we supposed to use that for
> inline elements or not?

Yes, you are.

From the public CSS1 Errata:

Section 5.6.2 'white-space'

[2001-08-28] The 'white-space' property applies to all elements, not just
block-level elements.

This is also what the CSS1 Test Suite tests:

and what popular browsers implement (from many vendors, for many platforms).