Re: Associating style sheets with XHTML documents via processing instruction?

* Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>> I interpret it the following way:
>> A user agent which is capable of XHTML and XML, and which
>> interprets the stylesheet processing instruction for xml documents,
>> also must interpret the stylesheet processing instruction for xhtml
>> documents since xhtml documents are xml documents.
>
>I'd guess that if the XHTML is being sent as text/html, the UA should
>interpret the <link/> element(s), and if being sent as text/xml, the
>stylesheet PI(s).

Not so, this is a parsing issue. If the document is beeing parsed as
generic XML, the user agent doesn't know about link's semantics but may
interprete the xml-stylesheet processing instruction. If the document is
beeing parsed as XHTML the link element is recognized. Treatment of the
xml-stylesheet processing instruction is undefined for this case, as it
is for all processing instructions.