Re: XHTML Modularization

From: <roconnor@math.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:

> 3. Validation of XHTML impossible
> It should be mentioned in XHTML Modularization, that a full validation of
> XHTML is impossible at the moment since datatypes of attributes like
> Character cannot be checked for proper use. Using <a
> accesskey="aksueztn">...</a> will still result in no validation errors with
> XML DTD validation.

Just as a note, I was reprimanded once for using the term ``validation''
incorrectly
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Apr/0076.html>
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Apr/0083.html>. It would
seem that ``validation'' refers specifically to the process of validation
thats (SG|X)ML specifications talk about.  So one can create erroneous
but valid documents.  Some other term needs to be used.

- --
Russell O'Connor                           roconnor@math.berkeley.edu
           <http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~roconnor/>
``Paradoxically, a refusal to `put a monetary value on life' means that
life is often undervalued.'' -- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach