Re: Expanding the HTML <link> Element

From: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-html-0003@earth.li>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:06:07 +0000 (UTC)
To: <www-html@w3.org>
At 2001-10-15T21:08-0000, Dave Hodder wrote:-

> I would like to recommend that the following link types are added to
> section 6.12 of the HTML 4 Recommendation
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-links>:

This is unlikely to happen: HTML is essentially frozen now, in favour of
XHTML.

> Parent
>     Refers to the document above the present document in a hierarchical
>     collection of documents.

I can see this being useful. The closest at the moment is "Contents",
which does not always apply.

> First
>     Refers to the first document in a linear sequence of documents.  May
>     be used in conjunction with "Next", "Prev" and "Last".

This exists as "Start".

> Last
>     Refers to the last document in a linear sequence of documents.  May
>     be used in conjunction with "First", "Next" and "Prev".

But this does not exist. I feel it ought to, for symmetry, though its
usefulness is perhaps rather limited.

>     Refers to a document for searching material related to a collection
>     of documents.

Interestingly, this is mentioned in HTML 3.2, but not in any subsequent
version.

> Author
>     Refers to a contact URI for the document author or authors.
>     Typically this may be a "mailto:" URL.

I think this is where people start muttering about metadata and RDF.

Tim Bagot