Re: Expanding the HTML <link> Element

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:16:18 +0100
To: "Tim Bagot" <tsb-w3-html-0003@earth.li>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
> This is unlikely to happen: HTML is essentially frozen now,
> in favour of XHTML.

And considering that HTML already offers a weak extensibility mechanism in
the from of a profile attribute on the head element, this is even more
unlikely. However, the rationale behind link types has been discussed for
some types, and a great number of link type values have been enumerated.
Background reading:-

That's a lot of link types.

> I think this is where people start muttering about metadata
> and RDF.

Perhaps, and XHTML 2.0 will address this issue. Of course, the RDF-in-XHTML
thing has been discussed all too often now. More background reading:-

- HyperRDF: Using XHTML Authoring Tools with XSLT to produce RDF Schemas

- RDF-In-XHTML; A "New" Approach

- Meta data profiles, HTML 4.01

- Threads From RDF IG, April 2001

Personally, I do not think that embedding RDF graph serializations into
XHTML is at all a good idea, even for a canonical form. Data in
documentation should be carefully scoped.

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer