Re: 'target' attribute disappeared?

From: Frank Tobin <ftobin@neverending.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:42:37 -0500 (EST)
To: Chris Haynes <chris@harvington.org.uk>
Cc: www-html <www-html@w3.org>
Chris Haynes, at 22:21 -0000 on 2001-11-29, wrote:

   On submitting my code to the XHTML1.0 validation suite it fails:-
   'target' is no longer an approved attribute of 'a'.

This has been discussed previously on this list.  The idea is that the
'target' attribute defines presentational characteristics of the page, not
semantic information.  Since XHTML tries to be solely semantic, this is
the reason for the removal.

   I can't see any other mechanism for doing this (other than resorting
   to JavaScript window.open() ).

You're probably right in that this is currently the only way to have an
XHTML page and handle window opening.  Maybe CSS 3 changes this, but of
course, but we probaby won't see that for a couple years (if ever).

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.neverending.org/~ftobin/