Re: After all this time, I should know this but...

From: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-html-0003@earth.li>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:17:41 +0000 (UTC)
To: <www-html@w3.org>
At 2001-11-14T10:09-0800, Adam_van_den_Hoven@vancity.com wrote:-

> I would then define the entities as is appropriate at the time (for
> instance they'd be empty once I can drop NS4.7 support).
>
> I was sure that I could accomplish this with HTML in NS but all my attempts
> seem to have failed.

Of course, technically speaking you can accomplish it with HTML: <!ENTITY
foo "bar">. (I think it would have to be in the internal subset to make a
non-validating parser read it.) What you can't do is accomplish it with
HTML in Netscape, which, like most other browsers, does not remotely
resemble a conformant SGML parser. You mention a "3rd party content
creation app" - why can't that do the hard work?

Tim Bagot