Re: What is shtml?

SSI depends on your server, and can usually be configured to work the
way you want based on your server's config.  Apache and IIS evidently
support it, beyond that you'd have to check your server's documentation.

Apache's explanation and instructions are at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html

.shtml is a standard extension for SSI, but you can configure Apache to
scan all .html files for includes, though this would make your server
work harder than it needs to.