Re: Document fragment anchor elements

From: Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 20:42:46 -0500 (CDT)
To: glen <glen@superexpert.com>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
glen, at 10:28 -0700 on Thu, 10 May 2001, wrote:

    I'm confused regarding the reason why the A element that specifies
    an anchor to a document fragment requires an ending tag.  What is
    the purpose of the end tag of an A element when it names an anchor
    to a document fragment?  I understand that this is important when
    the A element links to another URI, but I think it is fairly
    confusing when the A element is used only for anchoring a document
    fragment.

If you are using XHTML, then you need not have a closing tag; merely,
<a id="targetname" />

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.uiuc.edu/~ftobin/