Document fragment anchor elements

From: glen <glen@superexpert.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:28:56 -0700
To: <www-html@w3.org>
I'm confused regarding the reason why the A element that specifies an anchor
to a document fragment requires an ending tag.  What is the purpose of the
end tag of an A element when it names an anchor to a document fragment?  I
understand that this is important when the A element links to another URI,
but I think it is fairly confusing when the A element is used only for
anchoring a document fragment.