RE: XHTML Transitional DTD and <td> tags

From: Dave J Woolley <david.woolley@bts.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:31:42 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org
> From:	William F. Hammond [SMTP:hammond@csc.albany.edu]
>
> It's %Length in the Dec 1999 DTD for HTML 4.01, where the same
> attributes are also deprecated.  That came out just before the XHTML
	[DJW:]
	OK I take back part of what I said, although I think
	the reasons are still good.  It was changed from
	%Pixels to %Length between the 19980824 PR and the
	the final REC.  It is %Pixels in 4.0 and 3.2.

	My own guess is that it was done to bring it in line
	with de facto authoring practice.

> But -- except possibly for tiny border widths with current widely
> distributed hardware -- rigid lengths make no sense in a scalable
> presentation format.

	[DJW:]  HTML, of course, is not a presentation format.
	Which is why CSS was devised.