XHTML Transitional DTD and <td> tags

From: Laurel Oglesby <LaurelO@rivio.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:31:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Cc: Rick Roth <RickR@rivio.com>, Jennifer Ramos <JenniferR@rivio.com>
According to the XHTML Transitional DTD on the w3c site, <td> tags can only
have pixel widths applied and not percents, as indicated below by the
%Pixels.  Is this an error? Should the DTD show %Length instead, as in the
HTML 4 Transitional DTD, or has this been changed in the XHTML DTD?  If this
is correct, can you please tell me why percentages are no longer valid??

Also, I checked two XHTML books (Beginning XHTML by WROX and HTML & XHTML
The Definitive Guide by O'Reilly), and both books confirm that pixel and
percentage widths can be used in the <td> tag.

Here is the portion of the DTD that I am referring to:

<!ATTLIST td
  %attrs;
  abbr        %Text;         #IMPLIED
  axis        CDATA          #IMPLIED