Re: XHTML's reception

From: Clover Andrew <aclover@1value.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:10:00 +0200
To: <www-talk@w3.org>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
> however he omits the --> ending that (i think i'm right in saying)
> browsers like IE2 require

Actually, there was no <!-- around the CDATA, so an ending wasn't
required; I was hoping indeed that tag-soup munchers would see the
]]> as the end of the <![CDATA unknown-SGML-magic "tag". Come to
think of it, though, this causes a problem in that you can't get a
'>' character into the script without it also ending the unknown-tag
on pre-script browsers. Which is a bit harsh.

I offer, then, this even more aesthetically questionable solution:

  <script type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[ // ><!--

Which I think should work on XML parsers and tag-soup browsers,
with only the sequences "--", "</" and "]]>" taboo in the scripting.
It works on everything I've tried here, except of course Mozilla
which uses an XML parser but fails to understand CDATA marked
sections altogether. Ah well...

Andrew Clover
Technical Consultant