RE: UL - Block or Inline?

> From:	pdf@bizfon.com [SMTP:pdf@bizfon.com]
>
> Am I looking in the wrong place?
[DJW:]
The definitive place is the DTD, taken in this
case from the HTML 4.01 specification (PDF version) -
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html> for the HTML
verson:

<!ENTITY % list "UL | OL">

<!ENTITY % block
"P | %heading; | %list; | %preformatted; | DL | DIV | NOSCRIPT |
	BLOCKQUOTE | FORM | HR | TABLE | FIELDSET | ADDRESS">

	[DJW:]  It's defnitely a block element.

> The reason I ask (off topic) is because I notice strange behavior (in IE
> and
> Netscape) with lists when there is an item floated to the left of the
> list, and
> I wanted to get a better understanding of where the list marker (the disc,
> etc.)
> fits into the picture, so that I might find a work around for existing
> agents
> that display it incorrectly.
	[DJW:]
	You might want to note that list items are treated
	as a special case in CSS, i.e. neither block nor inline.
[DJW:]