UL - Block or Inline?

From: <pdf@bizfon.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:07:23 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

I'm trying to find whether the UL (and OL) is a Block element or an Inline
element.  The HTML 4.01 spec. does not seem to specify what it is.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/lists.html

Am I looking in the wrong place?

The reason I ask (off topic) is because I notice strange behavior (in IE and
Netscape) with lists when there is an item floated to the left of the list, and
I wanted to get a better understanding of where the list marker (the disc, etc.)
fits into the picture, so that I might find a work around for existing agents
that display it incorrectly.

Thanks,
Peter Foti