Re: client side includes

From: Russell O'Connor <roconnor@math.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:18:01 -0800 (PST)
To: Daniel Hiester <alatus@earthlink.net>
cc: www-html <www-html@w3.org>
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Daniel Hiester wrote:

> You can implement such a feature by importing javascript files from a .js,
> but I agree, it would be nice if there was something like this:
>
> <link rel="import" type="text/html" href="file.html" />

The problem with this and using OBJECT to include documents, is that

1. text/html is a full HTML document with title, sylesheet, etc. and is
not apporitate as a snippet of HTML

2. Includes like this do not become part of the documents GROVE and
becomes a serious handicap when trying to get it to work with current SGML
processor.

Entities do not have the above problem.

--
Russell O'Connor                        roconnor@alumni.uwaterloo.ca