Re: ISO-HTML and headers / form elements

[ Again, this is my personal opinion ]

Nicolas Lesbats <nlesbats@etu.utc.fr> wrote:

> > > 2. Why form elements are only accepted in FORM and FIELDSET elements ?
> >
> > Probably to ensure that form controls won't appear outside of the form
> > element.  In HTML 4, form controls may appear outside of the form element,
> > e.g. when they are used to build user interfaces together with scripting.
>
> I understand that, but then ISO-HTML documents are not always -I think-
> HTML4 strict documents: see for instance
		<snip/>
> As a matter of fact, I can't believe that there is nothing wrong with
> these examples because I can't believe that ISO-HTML claims to product
> HTML4 strict documents if it doesn't. I don't think I've made mistakes
> in creating them, maybe the W3C validator have troubles but I think it
> doesn't (because I get the same conclusion in comparing DTDs). What do you
> think about?

Actually there is nothing wrong with these examples.  As you noticed,
ISO-HTML document does not conform to HTML 4 Strict in this case (it
conforms to HTML 4 Transitional, though).  In order to make it conforming
to both ISO-HTML and HTML 4 Strict (except the DOCTYPE difference), you
need to wrap form controls by the fieldset element.

Perhaps if there is a way to say "allow form controls inside the block
elements only when those are used inside the form element", ISO folks
wouldn't have to invent this weird content model.  Unfortunately DTD
doesn't provide such functionality.  For XML, RELAX's hedge model
could provide such context-sensitive content models ...

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium