RE: <OBJECT> tag a pain in the neck

> From:	NeTDeMoN [SMTP:NeTDeMoNZ@flashmail.com]
>
> The <EMBED> tag isn't standard html, but is a great way to embed sound.
> The
> object tag is a useful way to embed an applet to play sounds but isn't
> good
> for embedding sounds itself. Actually, I see nothing on the html docs
> about
> actually embedding sounds.
>
> For example:
>
> <object data="file.wav" codetype="audio/wav">
>
> Why should I have to include a classid for this? That should be enough for
> the browser to play the sound using the mime type's plugin or helper app.

	[DJW:]  You don't; even IE doesn't require you to include classid.
	Whilst I can't understand why IE doesn't treat this the same way as
	embed, that's an implementation problem not a standards problem.

> Also, <object> has no autostart attribute.
>
> Finally, how would I use the object. For example, it would be nice to set
> autostart=false and in javascript, do
> document.getElementById("objectid").play() or .loop() or .stop().

[DJW:]  I think you misunderstand the design aims of
HTML.  It is a glue language for navigating to resources
in other formats.  If you want a W3C multimedia authoring
language, I believe you should be looking at SMIL.