<OBJECT> tag a pain in the neck

From: NeTDeMoN <NeTDeMoNZ@flashmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:52:07 -0500
To: <www-html@w3.org>
The <EMBED> tag isn't standard html, but is a great way to embed sound. The
object tag is a useful way to embed an applet to play sounds but isn't good
for embedding sounds itself. Actually, I see nothing on the html docs about
actually embedding sounds.

For example:

<object data="file.wav" codetype="audio/wav">

Why should I have to include a classid for this? That should be enough for
the browser to play the sound using the mime type's plugin or helper app.

Also, <object> has no autostart attribute.

Finally, how would I use the object. For example, it would be nice to set
autostart=false and in javascript, do
document.getElementById("objectid").play() or .loop() or .stop().

Basically, you put in object to replace embed, yet it has improper support
for sound files. I also assume its mp3 support, etc is lacking too. If there
is something that I don't know about, then why isn't it in the HTML 4.01
spec?

--
Signature:

This is where I should say something witty.
Unfortunately, I have nothing to say.

By the way: Don't misuse apostrophes - SPREAD THE WORD!

http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif