RE: Point of order!

Well put.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dustin Kreidler [mailto:snooky1@visto.com]
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 10:19 AM
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Point of order!

I just want to throw something out here.  I am still
learning the in-depth knowledge that so many of you take
for granted, and observing you go back and forth on topics
is usually amazingly informative.  But let me just remind
you of the realities outside this list....

1) Businesses are still forcing their clients to browse on
older UAs.  As someone else pointed out, Mom and Dad have
no clue how to upgrade their browser.  While I understand,
and even join with you, in hating the current technology,
pinning your "solutions" on future technologies is kinda
like saying that the cure for California's power problems
is the development of solar and wind power.  Tell that to
the people with no lights.  They don't care about what you
could do with 5 years and a great big budget.  Use what you
have and fix it now.

2) As far as cached items go, I have NO idea what
persistant connections do in terms of caching, but i do
know that with limited hard disk space, most people who
know just a little about the internet (the small amount of
knowledge that makes them dangerous) clean up their caches
on a fairly regular basis.  The common UA's have that as an
easy to find option.  Assuming they will keep all the
static elements of *your* site while discarding all of the
ad crap they get dumped on them is ludicrous.  When
everyone can own that cool 60GB hard drive, ok.  Fine.
Cache all of your stuff to your hearts content.  But this
is NOT the case for Mom and Dad.

I guess the real point is this.  For their benefit, never
assume anyone has your knowledge or experience.  Case in
point:
  My car does not expect me to figure out exactly how much
gas to put into the engine, or how much air to mix in, or
how quickly to rev up the whole process.  I am presented
with one pedal, and the car takes care of everything else
for me.  If i were an engine engineer, i might yearn for a
control mechanism that would be perfect for *me* to tweak
the power and fuel consumption to my heart's delight.  But
then, my Mom and Dad wouldn't be able to drive anywhere and
get milk.  So what would be the point?

Ok, back to the discussion on csi vs. ssi.  thanks!

Dustin Kreidler