Re: client side includes

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 14:07:44 -0800 , Murray Macdonald <murray@mha.ca>
wrote:

[input rearranged to a line length suitable for repost,
 instead of having to pick it up through a brick wall
 with the line ends well into my neighbors kitchen]

>The web would be many times faster if a server could attach
>image files to the end of the html file and return one file.

The savings would be the time allocated for extra openings and
closings of HTTP connections, so...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not that what is supposed to be
solved by the concept of a "persistent connection" as per HTTP1.1 ?

>No caching advantage you say?

Well, HTTP1.1 persistent connections are supposed to give room for all
parts of cache mechanisms as they have already been implemented.

No need to change already available caching mechanisms as I see it,
just follow some well thought out recommendations (as in RFC2616)
and we should be all happy.

Why do we need to reinvent the wheel ?

--
Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com> <http://member.newsguy.com/~jrexon/>
Moronization: a form of acculturation where people are encouraged to anoint