From: Dave J Woolley [mailto:david.woolley@bts.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, 1 February 2001 11:26 PM
To: 'www-html@w3.org'
Subject: RE: FRAMEBORDER attribute?

> From:	Steve Doig [SMTP:Steve.Doig@shihad.zzn.com]
>
> Why should you move away from frames? - I thought thay were valid useful
> constructs.

	[DJW:]  Because CSS should be used instead.

	Because they are not in XHTML 1.1.

	Because they are in a part of HTML 4 reserved for
	deprecated and stop gap features and have never been
	in the preferred version of any W3C specfication.

	Because they make creation of a web++ difficult because
	you can't deep link to a frame combination and can't even
	reliably deep link to a single frame (often it will simply
	script itself to the home page).

	Because you cannot see page titles or URIs on fully frame
	capable browsers, encouraging badly titled frames.

	Because they encourage people to create sites that
	don't degrade gracefully to older browsers, text only
	browser, and, to some extent TV browsers.

	++ in the sense intended in "the World Wide Web", not in the
	sense used by Front Page.