RE: FRAMEBORDER attribute?

From: Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:40:04 -0600 (CST)
To: Dave J Woolley <david.woolley@bts.co.uk>
cc: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Dave  J Woolley, at 12:25 -0000 on Thu, 1 Feb 2001, wrote:

    	[DJW:]  Because CSS should be used instead.

While I normally don't use frames, I think there are justified uses for
frames.  Consider a situation such as a file-tree viewier, such as
Windows' Explorer or KDE's file manager.  By using such a combintation,
the "tree" frame can be used independently of the "file-listing" frame;
the tree-frame doesn't have to be re-loaded because of some action in the
file-listing frame.  The two frames also can be scrolled independently. In
general, think of how many non-web applications work; they provide
multiple frames for doing work which can act independent or in unison.

Frames also provide the ability to embed pages from other sites in a
fairly transparent manner, without any knowledge of the embedded site.

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.uiuc.edu/~ftobin/