anchors

From: Hoyt, Phil <Phil.Hoyt@globeinteractive.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:44:41 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org
I think it's common practice to link using href="#name" to an anchor within
the same document. I've been unable, though, to find a way either in the
real world or in the html spec to use a similar syntax to link to an anchor
within the same document as the link when <base href="http://www.url.com">
is being used. Instead, such a link refers to an anchor on the base
document.

Adding a ./ in front of the # has no effect and the spec doesn't seem to
insist that it should.