<dynamic> element idea (was: <dynamic> tag idea)

> From:	Bert Johnson [SMTP:bert@geekspotting.com]
>
> My budding company (Johnso Productions) is in the finalizing stages of the
> Johnso Page Update Notifier - which parses pages and alerts you if there
> have been recent modifications.  The problem is that many pages contain
> dynamic "random" content, such as quotes of the day, member counts, or
> timestamps.  By putting those non-static fields between <dynamic> tags, it
> would allow many autonomous tasks to run easier.
[DJW:]
Reasons for not doing this include:

- high levels of such material are an indicator of lack
  of real information - why would someone want to volunteer
  that fact to indexing engines?

- for many commercial sites, your definition of dynamic content,
  particular banner ads, is the only commercially important part
  of the site.  Marking it specifically would allow people to
  include !important dynamic {display: none} in their style sheets
  (syntax may be wrong) - why would anyone want to volunteer information
  to banner blocking software?

- commercial web authors can't even do alt text right, why do
  you expect them to markup with your element?

- SGML/XML syntax doesn't like orthogonal elements (much real life
  HTML violates rules based on this constraint, though).