Re: advanced frame question?

From: Clover Andrew <aclover@1VALUE.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:17:08 +0200
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk> wrote:

> Unfortunately, the rendering model for frames isn't clearly explained
> and I get the impression that marginwidth and height should really be
> called padding...

This is the case in IE for anywhere you get a <body>, not just for
frames. IE removes any CSS or HTML margin from the body element and
moves it into padding. It also puts any scrollbars *inside* the
border. So it looks like IE is (erroneously IMHO) treating the <body>
element as the root for the viewport, and then as a hack to get
the common CSS "body { margin: something }" to work as expected,
adding margin to padding.

Netscape, Mozilla and Opera all keep margins on body outside of the
border as with any other element. However, a body background spills
outside the border to fill the margin and the rest of the viewport,
which I suppose is necessary for the common CSS "body { background:
something }".

It is not entirely obvious to me which if any of these behaviours
is "correct". Can anyone put me right?

(Of course, Netscape also adds its own HTML-settable margins to <body>
outside of, and independently of, the CSS margins.)

--
Andrew Clover
Technical Support