Re: proper use of abbr and acronym

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 12:49:18 -0000
To: "Frank Tobin" <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
> (Not posting to w3c-wait-ig, as I'm not on it).

That's OK. It's just the WAI IG.

> I entirely agree with this.

Great!

> This is an interesting solution, and I agree that using CSS to provide
> semantics is a hack at best.

Well, using class to provide semantics certainly is: the semantics should be
hard wired into the document, and then accentuated and made more accessible
by style (CSS).

> It doesn't seem quite as useful to the user to have each instance
> marked as such explicitly, but rather for there to be some sort
> of indication of "meaning available" (e.g., implemented through
> tooltips or a reference of sorts).

That is very true, but in the future, RDF will provide us with a method of
annotating practically everything. Then, we might be able to interact with
all of the content and elements in a document. Here's hoping...
CSS2 isn't widely supported anyway yet, so most browsers won't render it
afterwards. Using title is good enough for now (it has to be!).

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
http://xhtml.waptechinfo.com/swr/
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/
"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.