Re: proper use of abbr and acronym

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 12:49:18 -0000
To: "Frank Tobin" <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
> (Not posting to w3c-wait-ig, as I'm not on it).

That's OK. It's just the WAI IG.

> I entirely agree with this.

> This is an interesting solution, and I agree that using CSS to provide
> semantics is a hack at best.

Well, using class to provide semantics certainly is: the semantics should be
hard wired into the document, and then accentuated and made more accessible
by style (CSS).

> It doesn't seem quite as useful to the user to have each instance
> marked as such explicitly, but rather for there to be some sort
> of indication of "meaning available" (e.g., implemented through
> tooltips or a reference of sorts).

That is very true, but in the future, RDF will provide us with a method of
annotating practically everything. Then, we might be able to interact with
all of the content and elements in a document. Here's hoping...
CSS2 isn't widely supported anyway yet, so most browsers won't render it
afterwards. Using title is good enough for now (it has to be!).

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.