Re: HTML forms

From: James P. Salsman <bovik@best.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:06:44 -0800 (PST)
To: david@kasey.umkc.edu
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, www-html@w3.org
David,

Thanks for your message:

> Given a microphone capturing application that can
> capture a spoken phrase to a named file, the current
> HTML file upload form element is sufficient to upload
> that voice clip.

That is absolutly right, and it captures the essense of
why the W3C should take an affirmative stance to
standardize microphone upload.  Suppose you are developing
a spoken language instruction system using asyncronous
audio conferencing.  If you wanted to provide for students
on several different platforms, you would have to provide
a microphone capture application for each of them.  Then,
when the participants used your system, they would have
to record, save to a file, select that file, and upload it
as seperate operations, switching between the browser and
microphone capture application each time.  If microphone
upload were standardized, I estimate that it would save
over ten mouse and key-clicks per upload, without having
to distribute a supplemental application for each platform.

> MIME e-mail can carry voice clips and comments between
> teacher and student perfectly well.

Only a few mail user agents provide that capability.  Back
in late 1996 some language instructors on one of the distance
education lists (DEOS?) or newsgroups were claiming that
voice-email presents more trouble than it is worth, at least
for some students.

> Streaming microphone data as something which would be part
> of a standard...

The device upload spec isn't for streaming, it uses only
TCP-based HTTP POST enctype="multipart/form-data" HTML form
submissions; see:
  http://www.bovik.org/device-upload.html

Cheers,
James