Frames

From: Lohengrin <lohengrin@hkguy.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 00:01:11 +0800
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Hello, all. I'm new to the mail list. I'm sorry if I asked the same old
question.

I'm now studying to write valid html docs according the HTML 4.01 spec and
follow the design guidelines of it.

The spec recommends authors to use the strict DTD when possible. However, it
doesn't include any frame element. Does it mean that frames are not
recommended or being phased out? If so, what problems do frames cause? On
the other hand, frame elements are not classified as deprecated. It confuses
me and the spec hasn't mentioned any further guideline in using frames.
Should I avoid frames?