XHTML questions

Hi

I have a couple of questions on this, should this address in the XHTML
doctype:

http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml

be changed to this:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1

seeing as the first address is a page saying that it's moved...

Also if the web server is set up to serve files as:

and one doesn't include encoding="UTF-8" in the file (I seem to recall
something somewhere saying that including it can break backwards
campatability) then is it basically invalid as XHTML? And if so what is
the best thing to do -- change the Content-Type header to UTF-8 (in
httpd.conf or .htaccess files or whatever) and not have it in the files?
i.e. something like this:

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>