Re: Authors response: The Future Of XHTML

Sean Palmer wrote:

> Hello Again,
> Firslty I shall addres the concerns of Mr. Hufthammer
> and Mr. Connolly.
> The problem lies in one of the entity documents, I get
> errors when I run an XHTML document through (for
> example) http://www.stg.brown.edu/service/xmlvalid/
> which is known to be an excellent validator.
> Another intersting point is that the W3C hompage
> doesn't have an XML tag in it!

I gather you mean an XML declaration when
you say 'XML tag'.

> Why is this?

Because it's not required for UTF-8 encoded documents;
note the ? after XMLDecl:

[22]
                    prolog
                          ::=
                               XMLDecl? Misc* (doctypedecl Misc*)?

-- http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#NT-prolog

It just takes up extra bytes, so we left it out.

Just now I have other commitments that preempt
me from spending the time to debug this stuff;
I hope somebody else can provide an explanation.

> However, even REAL valid XHTML pages dont
> validate as XML because the problem lies with one of
> the documents refered to in the XHTML DTD.
> For your benefit, here is the result of the
> afforementioned parser on my webpage:-
> line 38,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd:
> error (771): malformed external parameter entity;
> file:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-special.ent,
[...]