RE: Valid positioning of script elements

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:41:13 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

> Why is a <noscript> not allowed where a <script> is?

	[DJW:]  At a guess, because it would allow one to violate
	the content model by using noscript in %inline context to
	insert a %block type element.

	Really, though, the whole problem is that script is a hack on
	HTML as tag soup, rather than HTML as SGML.  (Generally people
	are using HTML when what their usage needs is a dynamic page
	description language.++)

	It seems to me that conditional sections might better
	reflect the the intended use of noscript, but I suspect that
	doing this, especially in a way that was extensible, might not
	be possible even in SGML.  Could any SGML expert
	comment on this?

	All this is somewhat academic now, I suspect.

	++ Ignoring accessibility, as do most authors.