RE: Fixed table width

From: Piers Williams <PiersW@zinc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 20:48:10 -0000
To: "'Michael Ducharme'" <michael@web-solve.net>, www-html@w3.org
I remember some discussion along these lines last year, but it might not
have been on this list. It was suggested to have some mechanism to encorage
user-agents to wrap text at characters as determined in the html page (some
form of <WRAP AT="_"> tag).

My personal thoughts are that the only time this is ever really a problem is
when one quotes Urls in the text of a page, to which there is an obvious
answer: Don't. There shouldn't ever be a need to - the visible section of
the link should be a meaningful identifier of what the linked content
represents, not the text of the url itself.

The only compelling reason i can think of to write the url onto screen is
the lack in any browser i know of of the ability to render the url next to
the linked content in print-outs of the page. I suppose we can hope (as ugly
as the concept of printing out html page complete with urls is, it's a real
need)

--
Piers, Zinc