Preventing Refer field from being sent by browsers?

From: Ted Cohn <ted@surveysez.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 20:33:47 -0800
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Is there a way to prevent browsers from passing on a Referer field based on
headers from the cgi that produced the HTML that contains the link?

We have discovered that some sites prevent displaying their original
contents if there is a Referer field whose URL does not match its own site!
We have issues of privacy to prevent users of our service from being tracked
having come from our site.

Thanks for any pointers/help.

Ted

p.s. I could not find a mail list that looked HTTP-specific.