RE: forms - checkbox labels and wrapping

At 12:34p -0500 01/04/00, JOrendorff@ixl.com wrote:
>From: walter@natural-innovations.com, 01/04/2000 10:35 AM
>  > At 09:00p -0600 01/03/00, Dan Connolly wrote:
>  > >It's too bad we didn't have them from the beginning, but we do have
>  > >them. They've been a W3C recommendation since Dec 1997. The current
>  > >spec is:
>  > >
>  > >17.9 Labels
>  >
>  > Gee, somehow I missed that. I wonder if any browsers make use
>  > of it yet...
>
>IE 5.0 does, and I try to use <label> wherever I can.  It doesn't hurt
>the rendering on old browsers at all; it's an ideal extension.
>(Another ideal extension in html4 is <A title="">.  Wonderful.)
>
>There is still the problem of making sure the label stays next to the
>checkbox, though.  <label> doesn't do this.

That's what I really want to see, though. ::sigh::

>Since the dawn of time (well, 1994 anyway) tables have been used
>to align form elements - and everything else, for that matter.
>You can use a table to make sure the checkbox and its label appear
>together.

Except then the {checkbox+label} won't wrap, because tables don't wrap.
I just want the checkbox to know what its label is, and hold on to it!
It needs to know it so that you don't end up with the checkbox here [X]
and its label here. It needs to be *bound* to it, which is why I thought
of a label= attribute rather than an element.

-Walter