Re: forms - checkbox labels and wrapping

From: <schnitz@overflow.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:04:57 +0000
To: walter@natural-innovations.com
CC: www-html@w3.org
Walter,

> There's a problem with forms, specifically checkboxes and radio buttons,
> where the text associated with the item wraps separately. I've tried &nbsp;
> between them, I've tried Netscape's <nobr> element, but there does not seem
> to be any way to bind them together. It's too bad we never had a label=
> attribute for <input>, as that would have prevented the problem (and would
> have allowed RTL direction for RTL languages to be automatic, layout-wise).

it is a good thing that you are pointing this out, since the HTML WG
is currently involved with the design of the next generation of web
forms.

One possibility would be to change the markup into something like:

<checkbox>
  <item>Cats</item>
  <item>Dogs</item>
</checkbox>

which would probably solve the problem. This also harmonizes the
differences in markup between radio/checkbox (INPUT
TYPE=RADIO/CHECKBOX) and pulldown/listbox (SELECT with/without MULTIPLE).

These markup constructs for form controls have been
introduced by the Forms Markup Language
implemented in Mozquito as an alternative to <input type="checkbox">.
Authors consider this to be more intuitive than the overloaded
input tag.

What do you think?

Regards,

Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer