RE: [Q] META "Refresh" deprecated ?

From: Patrice Calve <patrice.calve@cactuscom.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:35:39 -0500
To: www-html@w3c.org
Hi,

The refresh is usefull for web applications.  The programmers can have tiny
frames with one frameset having a refresh of x minutes just to KEEP ALIVE
the session.

This technique has been very usefull when the user has to enter a long or
complicated form (usually elaborate expense forms requested by our clients).

Without changing the session timeout of the server and of the whole
application, you can hide the Keep alive page in some parts of the system
where it's slow.

It's a cheap alternative, but it works.

Many developpers (and designers) will have this auto-redirect for splash
screens after a succesfull logon or logoff.

To us, it's usesfull and wish to keep it.

I understand that some Java and scripting could be used, but why change it?
It works.

Pat
Hull, Quebec, Canada.