RE: [Q] META "Refresh" deprecated ?

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:55:40 -0000
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
> From:	Stephane Bailliez [SMTP:stephane.bailliez@imediation.com]
>
> I have a question concerning the <meta http-equiv="REFRESH" ...
>
> I can not find any paragraph about the "refresh" in the current HTML 4.01
> specification and according to the mailing list archive, it seems it was

	It's been in no version of the HTTP spec that I have ever seen
	(nor for that matter, in any HTML spec.).  I don't think it
	is possible to deprecate it in HTML without deprecating
	http_equiv in its entirety.

	Its problems are:

	- it tends to break cacheability, as actually implemented;

	- it forces a pace on a user who may not be able to keep up
	  (accessibility);

	- probably more than 50% of the time it is misused to simulate
	  an HTTP level redirect (either through lack of knowledge/reliance
	  on folklore, or because the ISP isn't providing meta data access).