Re: inline CSS (was: is anyone interested in XHTML?)

Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 23:58:01 -0800, Murray Altheim <altheim@eng.sun.com>
> wrote:
>
> >What nonsense. I keep hearing that, but CSS1 and 2 both have *author* as
> >priority, not user, so this runs completely counter to what would help
> >accessibility.
> >
> >  CSS1: "the author's style sheets override the reader's style sheet"
> >  CSS2: "author style sheets override user style sheets which override
> >         the default style sheet. "
>
> Just for the record of "correctness"
>
> Priorities...
>
>   CSS1: ua -> user -> author -> user!important -> author!important
>   css2: ua -> user -> author -> author!important -> user!important
>
> Effectively 1: author!important styling is redundant in CSS2.

Just for the record of what I read in the CSS1 and CSS2 specs, you
might want to quote where you find this. I was quoting verbatim from
CSS1 and CSS2 (I didn't make it up!), so your statement contradicts
the specs.

> Effectively 2: the C in CSS is a shaky business anyway, mostly
>                due to the CDATA type content allowed for the
>                CLASS attribute.
>               (CLASS attribute values can't be validated)

It wouldn't be 'validated' by the XML parser anyway. One of the things
I'm lobbying to change is that we use notations where appropriate, and
the <style> and <script> element types should probably be using a
notation identifier rather than a CDATA wrapper (although the CDATA
wrapper shouldn't keep it from being parsed, since the code doing the
parsing of ECMAscript or CSS isn't an XML parser anyway.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy