Re: HTML vs socio-political correctness

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, John Pierce wrote:

> [ ... the usual "d*mn those luddites!" screed ... ]
>
> In the seven or eight years we've been using the browser as an
> application delivery platform, we've saved an estimated $250K in
> this department alone, while significantly improving services to
> all of our constituencies.

And so, is your complaint that you haven't saved enogh money?  Or even
more money?

> I also had great hopes that DOM/XML/XSL would, along with
> refinement of HTML, allow us to become truly vendor-neutral.

Allow?  "Vendor-neutral" is a state of mind.

> However, that is not what the University pays me for, and I
> cannot, in good conscience, use taxpayer money to enforce my
> personal opinions about social good.

How is this disclaimer relevant?

> If that means that I must abandon standards compliance for more
> useful tools, then I will do so, albeit unhappily.

Now you seem to be saying that the tools you find most useful are not
compliant.  You have, of course, failed to define "useful" beyond the
obvious notion of "hey, it works for me today!.  What you may want to
ponder (see "state of mind" above) is how you could have any measure,
let alone guarantee, of continuing usefulness without a standard.

Arjun