Re: justification/reasoning of tags in XHTML forced to be lowercase?

From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:29:08 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
At 09:48a -0500 08/14/2000, msew didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:
>I have always found it much easier to parse and read HTML when the
>tags are capitalized.

I know what you mean. I code HTML with uppercase tags, plus I color
them, plus I make the start tag name bold. Every little bit helps
when editing code. :)

>I understand that xml is case sensitive (rather annoying from a
>language perspective, but that is another battle to fight),

It's too late -- I tried a long time ago (I even wrote a CGI for a
survey about it), and it was apparently too late even then.

>but I am wondering why the XHTML standard is forcing people to use
>lowercase for their hypertext markup tags.  Why not force them to
>use uppercase?

Word is that preferences were split pretty close to 50/50 (and my
survey results bore that out), so either way half the people would be
displeased. Such is life.

>What is the justification or reasoning for lowercase tags?

Well, for same case (either upper or lower) more computer languages
can deal with case sensitivity easier than case insensitivity, so
that helps programmers.

-Walter