Re: Assistance w/charset

At 11:26 am -0500 19/4/00, Dan Connolly wrote:

>  > using Netscape 4.6 on Windows NT (& 4.7 on Windows 98)
>
>That seems to be the problem. I find that Netscape 4.7 on Win98 doesn't
>support all the characters listed in the HTML 4.0 spec. It displays
>ρ as ρ and ρ as a ?.

This is not a Netscape or MSIE problem.  It will happen on the Mac
too, no matter whether you have installed all the fonts available.
The problem is that neither on WIndows NT nor on the Mac are the
glyphs available for the extended Greek characters and since I think
that even if you have a font for these, eg. Ismini, Athenian etc,
there is no converter to translate from the various Classical Greek
encodings to Unicode.  On the Mac, the glyphs for basic Greek get
borrowed from the Beijing Chinese font (!) in the absence of a
standard iso Greek font, so at least basic Greek can be displayed,
but when it comes to capital alpha with darsia and oxia and goodness
knows what, we are left in the lurch by both Microsoft and Apple.
It's very annoying.

JD