RE: Scales Not (was Re: Modularization of XHTML B.3.4.2)

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:22:04 +0100
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

> A question for the historians: what was HTML's intent?

	[DJW:]  Amongst other things, to be simple and not to be another
	page description language (Postscript, PDF, etc.)
	or word processing file format (MS Word, Word Perfect,
	etc.).

	Unfortunately, what was fogotten is the market demand
	to use "new" things, even when established technology
	was either adequate or could be adapted (e.g. PDF now has
	internet links and, in my view, better expresses the
	intents of most commercial web page designers, which
	generally don't include accessibility or machine
	processability).

	Unfortunately, I don't have the HTML 1 spec in the
	office for the exact words.

	(One interesting quote from Dave Raggett in 1992

<http://www.w3.org/History/19921103-hypertext/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/HTMLConst
raints.html> is
It is required that HTML be a common language between all platforms. This
implies no device-specific markup, or anything which requires control over
fonts or colors, for example. This is in keeping with the SGML ideal.)