RE: "Presentational" vs. "Legacy"

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:55:08 -0400
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Jonny Axelsson wrote:

> U, S and FONT are deprecated, and rightly so IMHO.
>
> BI(TT) are in a different category. My thought about this here:
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Feb/0250.html>

I read that when you first posted it and was mystified.  I just re-read it, with
a similar reaction.  Your summary:

	... Of all HTML elements, I and B are the only
	truly universal ones.

is astouding.  Terms such as Italic, Bold, Underline, Strike-through, and Font
apply to _visual_ media, such as a printed page or your PC's screen; to braille
and audio devices they are *meaningless*.

/Jelks